Canon camera not firing flash

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
Samuelhearn

Canon camera not firing flash

Postby Samuelhearn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi,

I currently have a Canon 750D and have it connected to an external flash and i've read that this camera will not fire the flash and to make it fire i need to disable live view in the wifibooth app which really defeats the purpose of what i'm after as people using the photobooth can't see whats going on.

So i researched a new Camera the Canon 80D and i've also read it has the same issue..... I need help on what camera i need to use so i can get my photobooth in action with your app and external flash.

Please help.

Cheers,

Sam

adirpm

Re: Canon camera not firing flash

Postby adirpm » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:55 am

Hey,

You don’t have to disable live view. Instead you have to turn off the silent mode of live view in the settings of the camera. Then it’s firing 😊 at least that worked on my canon 70d.

Samuelhearn

Postby Samuelhearn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 am

Thanks mate. So your 70d is all good with the app and external flash? Maybe I’ll go this route

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:42 am

There is more info in this help article: https://wifibooth.com/help/articles/can ... iew-flash/
You absolutely can use flash with Canon 750D and live-view with Wifibooth. But you will find the GIFs too dark if that is strobe flash you are using: just turn GIFs off.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Samuelhearn

Postby Samuelhearn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi, I tried this but still nothing. It works only if a disable live view. So frustrating.

Samuelhearn

Postby Samuelhearn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi Tim, I would love to avoid buying another camera if you think the app will work with the 750D. Here’s the gear I’m using:

Flash : Metz BL400 studio flash with a studio flash trigger
Camera: canon 750D
iPad Air

Connected via the cameras WiFi.

It also will not fire with live view enabled in the canon app either.

If you have a solution for me with this set up that would be amazing.

Sam

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am

I found the issue: it is that you are using a non-Canon flash.
On page 172 of the Canon 750D manual, it says: A non-Canon flash will not fire during Live View shooting.
I did some more digging and found this page, which makes it more clear: Canon flashes are sending a command to the camera (about "silent mode") that causes flash to work with live-view, whereas non-canon flashes are not doing this. In the Canon XXd range, ie. 70d, 77d, 80d cameras, these have a menu setting where you can manually change this (silent mode) and thus use non-Canon flashes. However the 750D does not have this.
So your options are to either use a Canon flash, or upgrade the camera, if you want liveview.

This has nothing to do with Wifibooth or any app though -- if you just have the live-view on, and take a photo, the flash should also not fire (ie. same behavior). You could check this and let me know.

In the meantime I will check if there is any way the app can send this command to the camera, but don't hold your breath
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

Samuelhearn

Postby Samuelhearn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks so much for the help.
It sounds like it’s a upgrade of camera for me.
Also you’re right even just using live view with the camera only won’t fire the flash.

Sam

Return to “Help: Other issues”