Which (cheap) Ipad with Wifibooth & other questions

Having a problem that isn't related to cameras or printers?
JohnnyRocket

Which (cheap) Ipad with Wifibooth & other questions

Postby JohnnyRocket » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:11 am

Hello there !
I have actually these devices :
- Camera : Panasonic DMC-TZ100
- Printer : Canon SELPHY CP1200 Wireless Compact Photo Printer

So now I need to buy an Ipad to have a nice screen to be used by my guests.
If I check here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

There is currently 9 different Ipads (including Ipad Air) from 2010 until today.
There is also 5 different mini Ipads from 2012 until today.

I would like to buy an used and old one for my event, but I don't know if they are all compatible with Wifibooth?
Maybe some are to old to be updated to the last version of IOS or maybe some don't have the technical requirements.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by JohnnyRocket on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim
Site Admin

Re: Which (cheap) Ipad with Wifibooth ?

Postby tim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:14 am

Welcome!
The oldest you could buy is the iPad Air 2, but take a look here: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks
If it were me, the oldest I would buy is the iPad 6th generation, because there is a big jump between A9 and A10, and it won’t be obsoleted by apple for at least 2 years
The mini ipads are not good - too small for guests. The 10.5” ipad is really great if you can find one.
The Selphy CP1200 has issues on iOS 12, hope iOS 13 will be better or canon will finally release some fix
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

JohnnyRocket

Postby JohnnyRocket » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:32 am

Welcome!
The oldest you could buy is the iPad Air 2, but take a look here: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks
If it were me, the oldest I would buy is the iPad 6th generation, because there is a big jump between A9 and A10, and it won’t be obsoleted by apple for at least 2 years
Thank you for your complete answer.
All right, but the iPad 6th generation is only 1 year old and is still pricey. I'll take a look around if I can find a good deal :mrgreen:
The Selphy CP1200 has issues on iOS 12, hope iOS 13 will be better or canon will finally release some fix
What kind of issues exactly?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Search these forums for CP1200, there are multiple threads about it: that printer disconnects after some number of prints and then goes offline (requires a power cycle). If you can find an older CP910 they don’t have this issue. Otherwise the CP1200 is fine if you just unplug it every now and then (wifibooth automatically connects to it if your wifi is setup so that the wifi is connected when the printer restarts)

The ipad pro 10.5 has been out a while, A9X i believe- maybe you’ll find one cheaper. But i’d guess ipad 6th gen would be cheaper given its initial price point
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

JohnnyRocket

Postby JohnnyRocket » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Search these forums for CP1200, there are multiple threads about it: that printer disconnects after some number of prints and then goes offline (requires a power cycle). If you can find an older CP910 they don’t have this issue. Otherwise the CP1200 is fine if you just unplug it every now and then (wifibooth automatically connects to it if your wifi is setup so that the wifi is connected when the printer restarts)

The ipad pro 10.5 has been out a while, A9X i believe- maybe you’ll find one cheaper. But i’d guess ipad 6th gen would be cheaper given its initial price point
About the Ipad, I'll follow your advice and look for a 6th gen, 2018, 9.7-inch should be ok.

About the CP1200, well I bought it (so as I will do with the wifibooth app very soon) only for one event, so I don't think I will replace it.
1/ that printer disconnects after some number of prints and then goes offline (requires a power cycle)
Do you have an idea of "some number of prints" ? One pack is 108 sheets, maybe when we add new sheets?

2/ I know that would be losing all the benefit of the Wifibooth app, but can we plug a cable between the printer and the Ipad to prevent this problem?

Thanks!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:57 pm

Unfortunately there's no way to plug in the printer (or cameras) yet -- if Apple ever unlocks that USB port on the newest iPads for us devs, we will make it possible.

I don't know the details on the CP1200 as I don't own one. Who knows, maybe the problem is gone with iOS13, that'd be great eh

JohnnyRocket

Postby JohnnyRocket » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Unfortunately there's no way to plug in the printer (or cameras) yet -- if Apple ever unlocks that USB port on the newest iPads for us devs, we will make it possible.

I don't know the details on the CP1200 as I don't own one. Who knows, maybe the problem is gone with iOS13, that'd be great eh
All right, I'll run some tests on Christmas. I'll let you know how that goes.
Thanks!

JohnnyRocket

Postby JohnnyRocket » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi Tim,

I have now an Ipad 6th and I can play a little bit with my camera Panasonic DMC-TZ100 (I don't currently have my printer with me yet).
I just bought wifibooth "small events" package because I intend to use it only for my wedding next year.

2 quick questions :
1/ Is there a time limit, I mean, is the package license forever (or at least 1 year) ?
2/ "Branding: add your logo" is reserved for the PRO pack, I understand that.
But with my "small events" pack I cannot even put one text like the date of the wedding or anything on the picture that will be printed ?

Thanks

tim
Site Admin

Re: Which (cheap) Ipad with Wifibooth & other questions

Postby tim » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:45 am

Hi JohnnyRocket,

Great! Does your Panasonic work well with wifibooth? That's not a camera i'm super familiar with.

1) Small Events package lasts forever
2) all watermarking/branding is PRO only

JohnnyRocket

Re: Which (cheap) Ipad with Wifibooth & other questions

Postby JohnnyRocket » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:38 am

Hi JohnnyRocket,

Great! Does your Panasonic work well with wifibooth? That's not a camera i'm super familiar with.

1) Small Events package lasts forever
2) all watermarking/branding is PRO only
Hi !
2) That's really unfortunate, you should consider at least to put a simple text in the "Small Events" package, because putting a date & the name of the event is not what I call "professional branding".

iPad (6th generation) + Panasonic DMC-TZ100
About the Camera it works perfectly fine !
The only thing is that there is small delay to transfer all the pictures (I am working with a collage of 3 pics) from the camera to the Ipad, maybe 8-10s.
I have put the parameters of the picture to "2736x1824 (5M) (S)" to keep the images relatively small and speed up the transfer but there is still this small delay.

iPad (6th generation) + Iphone 8+
I am lucky enough to also have an Iphone 8+, so I installed SoloLink on the Iphone and tried Wifibooth from the Ipad.
Like this the transfer of the picture is almost instantaneous!
I think I lose just a little bit of photographic quality, but the improvement of speed is awesome.

I'll run some tests with the printer and I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “Help: Other issues”