Printing diaster at event

chamberphotography

Printing diaster at event

Postby chamberphotography » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:25 pm

So I had printing diaster at an event this past weekend. I have a DNP printer, connecting to my imac using the printopia app. Used the set up plenty times before. But at this event, the printer print one time, then didnt print anymore. Tried just about everything to fix the problem. I found a solution that work temporarily but then it went back to the same old thing. I disconnected the printer from wifibooth and reconnect, which worked at first, but then it stopped working. Any help on this?

tim
Site Admin

Re: Printing diaster at event

Postby tim » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Sorry to hear this.
Did you update your iMac, or change some software on it?
Did you recently update your iOS on the iPad, or the version of Wifibooth?
Since you've not had this problem before i'm guessing something changed...
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

chamberphotography

Postby chamberphotography » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 pm

I have updated to the new IPadOs. I'm assuming that could be the problem

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Yes, it definitely could, but, i'm sure hoping not!
Are you able to reproduce the problem now? or did it only happen at that venue?
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

chamberphotography

Postby chamberphotography » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Yea I'm able to recreate it. It will print the 1st time I connect. But after that, it wont print. Unless I disconnect and reconnect

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:03 pm

I installed Printopia, recreated the problem, diagnosed it (logs), and found you a workaround. All in 90 minutes :D

Problem: iOS 13 appears to have an issue with Printopia, when printing to AirPrint if printers have spaces or perhaps symbols (eg apostrophe) in their names.
Example: you print to "Tim's iMac" - you can print once, but a second print does not work.

Workaround: in Printopia, open the Settings of your printer (or computer - whatever you are sharing!), and change the name so that it has no symbols ('/<> etc) -- only letters and numbers and spaces. I tested using the name "TestOne123" and this worked fine (I could print multiple prints).

Important: this issue is NOT Printopia's fault -- I can reproduce this without Printopia. It is a bug in iOS.

chamberphotography

Postby chamberphotography » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:43 pm

I changed my printer name and the name of my IMAC so it has no spaces or symbols. I can print 1 copy of the photo, but I go back to the gallery, I'm still unable to print a different photo. I'm still trying different settings out though to see if I did anything wrong

adirpm

Postby adirpm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Hey, this is a general problem with iOS I think.. the selphy stops working as well after one print

SOS please fix it, if possible

adirpm

Postby adirpm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:31 pm

With the new iPad Os I mean. I updated as well and it only prints one picture a time. Otherwise I have to restart. Super embarrassing. If someone has a fix for it, please let me know.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:07 pm

@adirpm The issue(s) with the Selphy CP1300 are different as they came with iOS 12, whereas the issue being discussed here is an issue that came with iOS 13. The issue with the Selphy appears to be limited to the CP1300 (no reports of issues with the CP910 or CP1200), and thus a Canon problem. It's frustrating that they haven't (to my knowledge) released a fix for their printers yet....
If your printer name has characters other than a space, underscore, or hyphen, then rename it.

@chamberphotography Can you print reliably from the imac again? If so, and Wifibooth still isn't working for you (still only prints 1 copy), let me know - next step would be for you to try the beta build I made last night (no specific reason to think this will help though). I was able to workaround the issue you reported by renaming the printer only - it was ok that the _computer_ still had a name like "Tim's iMac", just the _printer_ had to be renamed.
Also, as dumb as it sounds, please do also try powering the iPad all the way down (hold down power, swipe to off) - this does help with some iOS issues.

adirpm

Postby adirpm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Yes I used to have the problem with the 1300 but I could restart after like 15 prints. Now, with iPad OS, it only prints one print. Then it stops working 😭
It won’t print unless I restart the iPad. So it seems to be Problem with the new iPad OS

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Oh that is terrible. Did you try renaming the printer using the selphy’s controls to something with only letters and numbers?

adirpm

Postby adirpm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Yes I renamed it but it doesn’t work.. guess I need to downgrade

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Hmm before you do can you please try the beta and tell me if it still hs the issue? Sending u the link in PM

chamberphotography

Postby chamberphotography » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:48 pm

I can print from my imac, but cant print from wifibooth

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Ok. Can you please try uninstalling and reinstalling printopia

chamberphotography

Postby chamberphotography » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 pm

I uninstalled and reinstalled printopia, but its doing the same thing

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Ok then there is something else happening that isn’t happening to me - ill test it more this week and see if i can find another workaround. Or hopefully Apple fixes this broken mess of iOS soon!

chamberphotography

Postby chamberphotography » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Already. In the meantime Im going to downgrade my OS. I have a backup on my computer i did before switch to iPadOS

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Great - let me know that it’s back to normal on iOS12... good luck. I will test the beta of 13.2 this week and see if it is any better

conwayk63

Postby conwayk63 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:03 am

Hi there,

I would just like to say that I too have encountered the same issue at an event and I cannot roll back to iOS 12.4.2 from 13.1.2. I have a similar setup and I would like to know if there is a workaround or an app update under development at this stage to fix this problem? If you could please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated, as well as if there is any solution I could possibly try in the mean time, thank you.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:57 am

Hi conwayk63,

Can you please tell me which printer you have, exactly what its name is (specifically: how it appears in the connect-printer dialog), and how you are connecting it to the ipad (direct airprint from wifibooth, via sololink, something else) ?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:05 pm

UPDATE: Good news, I believe i've found a solid workaround for this iOS 13 bug.

You can either wait for the Wifibooth 4.10.1 update to come out on the app store (this week, hopefully only a few days), or, you can install the beta and use the beta now. If you want access to the beta, please send me a PM and i'll send you the link.

conwayk63

Postby conwayk63 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:58 pm

hi Tim,

That is great news!! thank you so much!!

The printer I have is an Epson L805, that I link through Oprint that clones AirPrint as my printer is not AirPrint compatible. I have used the app before this and it worked perfectly the previous times I used it, no issues whatsoever. I have also tried to rename the printer as well but that failed to solve the problem...

If there is any thing else that you would recommend I try doing differently that will be greatly appreciated, otherwise I will wait for the update that you say should come out this week.

Thank you.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:02 am

UPDATE: 4.10.1 has the workaround and is released to the app store. You should see it latest wednesday morning (or now)
Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Return to “Help: Printers”