Wifibooth compatible cameras

Built-in WiFi only.
tim
Site Admin

Wifibooth compatible cameras

Postby tim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:53 am

Please make sure you have the newest version of Wifibooth by going to the App Store app on your ipad, choosing the Updates tab, and updating Wifibooth

Please note for Sony cameras, you must update the "Smart Remote (embedded)" app to the newest possible version. Updating the firmware of the camera does NOT update this app, it is a separate process. More info here: https://wifibooth.com/article/connectbuiltin-sony/.

List of supported cameras: https://wifibooth.com/article/supported-cameras/

Jadematheson

Re: WIFI BOOTH CAMERA COMPATIBILITY LIST

Postby Jadematheson » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Which cameras will work with the Live view

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Sony, Canon and Nikon.
UPDATE Feb. 13 2017 -- Nikon live-view is now supported, as of wifi booth 3.4.0 (to be released Feb. 14 or 15, depending on Apple)

Pacibl

Postby Pacibl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Do you plan to add live view for nikon?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:51 pm

UPDATE Feb. 13 2017 -- Nikon live-view is now supported, as of wifi booth 3.4.0 (to be released Feb. 14 or 15, depending on Apple)

Carmen

Postby Carmen » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 am

When connected to a camera via wifi, how can you send all email from the event after you connect to internet again? Because you cannot have internet while connected directly to a dslr wifi.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 am

Hi Carmen,
It is not possible to use internet functions like sending email, without internet access. There is no "delay and connect later" feature.
I suggest you connect your camera to a wifi hotspot that has internet access if this is possible with your camera.

pabloramos

Postby pabloramos » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:13 pm

Good Night

Can I use Canon T3i and Canon T5 with Eye- Fi? Supports LiveView ?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Canon T3i and T5i with eyefi yes.
Eyefi with liveview, never - not supported by eyefi.
App is free with no limitations except waternark so i suggest try it and see how it works for you.
Good luck!

dkeith

Postby dkeith » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Carmen,
It is not possible to use internet functions like sending email, without internet access. There is no "delay and connect later" feature.
I suggest you connect your camera to a wifi hotspot that has internet access if this is possible with your camera.
I am testing the pro version out but have run into this same problem and hoping there is a simple solution I am missing.

Here is my setup, I have Canon 6D and connected it to my iPad Pro via wifi. It works fine taking photos but I suspect that due to the iPad being connected to the camera via wifi it cannot send emails. I do however have the ipad with celluar connection as well and was hoping it would use the celluar connection to send the email while staying connected to the camera via wifi. I have tested but with no success. It is impractical to disconnect the camera each time a guest finishes having a photo taken to merely email the photo. I do not want to send emails later with a link to dropbox or a gallery of all the photos but only want the person to receive their one photo via email. How can I accomplish this? Is there another setting on the iPad that will use cellular data to send emails while still being connected to the camera via wifi? If not, what is your best solution to this problem?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi dkeith,
iOS does not allow apps to access cellular data if wifi is connected. If you make your camera a hotspot and connect your ipad to it, then it is not possible to use internet features like email, dropbox, or twitter.
Luckily for you, your camera supports infrastructure mode. Please connect your camera to your ipad's hotspot, as is recommended on the help page here: https://wifibooth.com/article/connectbuiltin-canon/ -- see the section titled "Using the WiFi Booth iPad’s Personal Hotspot"
Please note that you need at least one device like a printer that stays connected to the ipad hotspot, so that the ipad hotspot doesn't close if the camera loses connectivity for a moment. For more information please carefully read the note at the bottom of the help page I linked above.
If you get stuck please create a new forum topic.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

babzowski

Postby babzowski » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:18 am

Hi

Is there any solution to get Fuji X cameras working via Wifi instead of EyeFi ?
I have several disconnection issues during my photobooth. I had some photos not transfered, some disconnections of the Selphy CP1200... it's not yet reliable enough for me to invest into a DNS printer.

This is for now the best app i've found. Its expensive but you listen to your clients and i like that. Id just like to have a solution where i dont need to disconnect everything, and launch all my connections back, ten times a night.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:12 am

Yeah eyefi isn't the best. Are you using it in infrastructure mode with a wifi router? That's the most stable config.
Fuji wifi would be the next that i implement, but indont know how long it will be. I ordered the x-t2 ages ago but there are still none in canada due to shortages. Im also not sure how open the fuji spec is.
Please write a review for Wifibooth on the Apple App store! Indie developers like me really need people like you to review their apps. Instructions on how to write a review: http://goo.gl/w8NsDI.

vorn

Postby vorn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:38 pm

iOS does not allow apps to access cellular data if wifi is connected. If you make your camera a hotspot and connect your ipad to it, then it is not possible to use internet features like email, dropbox, or twitter.
Hi Tim, just wanted to mention that this workaround worked for me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/64 ... 0&tstart=0

I have an iPad Air 2 with a cellular data plan and using a Sony camera which I don't think support infrastructure mode. The steps are:

1. Connect to camera wifi hotspot.
2. Change it to use Static with the same IP address and subnet mask in the DHCP tab, and leave other settings blank.

Internet works on the tablet, and Wifibooth is still able to control the camera!

I have a suggestion though, maybe route internet activity to BluePrint (or the companion iPhone app). For example, instead of sending the photo to Twitter on the tablet. It would send a command to the phone via BlueTooth which includes all the necessary parameters to post to Twitter on the phone (which most people will have internet via wifi or cellular). You could do something similar for FTP, email, etc.

-Vorn

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Vorn,
Wow, thanks for posting that, I was not aware of that workaround! Very cool hack, I like it.

Re your comment about routing other traffic through BluePrint: interesting. That would be a great idea except for the major limitation that Bluetooth bandwidth maxes out at 200kB/sec. Often (ie. if you have some normal interference from wifi hotspots, or a bit of distance between devices) you'll get only 80kB/sec -- compare this to wifi's 10,000+ kB/sec....
When wifibooth sends the photo to blueprint, it aggressively downsizes the photo to the print resolution (by default, 1800 pixels by 1200 pixels). That is probably smaller than you want Dropbox or Twitter uploads to be, ie. thinking about reusing the same photo upload for printing to also do dropbox/twitter/email stuff, right? If you'd be happy with non-fullsize dropbox uploads, and only uploading the collages that are printed (not ALL photos), then it is a possibility. But that is a lot of work to support something with non-trivial limitations. I think your workaround is smarter :)

Also, I built the offline functionality to get around the wifi-no-internet issue: the dropbox / emails get uploaded/sent as soon as the ipad has internet connectivity again. I expect this is good enough in the case where you cannot have your ipad connected to the internet AND the camera...

dbooths

Postby dbooths » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 pm

70D Canon is working just fine.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Great thanks!

scoobiewu

Postby scoobiewu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Does the wifi enabled camera have to be a DSLR? There are a number of point-and-shoots that still have good images and have wifi. Thanks Tim!

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi scoobiewu,
You're right, but point-and-shoots have BIG limitations in their software (probably due to their processing power being significantly less than DLSRs). For example, most point-and-shoots are not capable of taking a photo and sending it over the wifi, without disconnecting the wifi to take the photo. They also use different protocols (totally different!) than the DSLRs. Short answer: sorry, no, point-and-shoots are not supported.
The biggest reason why I didn't build in point-and-shoot support is actually because point-and-shoots don't usually have a flash hotshoe, which you need to control off-camera lighting, and IMO that's required for a good photobooth.

scoobiewu

Postby scoobiewu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Cool thanks for that clarification! I think I might purchase a Canon EOS 6d for our wedding, to be used with an iPad air 2 wifi only, and a selphy cp1200. Anybody have success/failures with this setup as an unattended booth? Power cord considerations? How about a good light that only goes off when the camera does? Thanks so much, excited to do this. Still more economical than hiring a service.

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pm

If you're getting a camera specifically for the booth, then i'm not sure the 6D is ideal - I remember its live view being a bit slow, presumably because there's a much bigger sensor to render.

I'd suggest getting a used Canon 70D, or a new 80D - those are great cameras for photobooths, very speedy.
Regarding lights, there are so many options, and i'm not up to date with the newer ones.

scoobiewu

Postby scoobiewu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Hey Tim, I actually meant the Rebel T6. See how much of a photo n00b i am? Looking for the entry-level DSLR. From what I've read on the Forum, people have had good experience with it. What say you?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Ah ok :)
I would definitely recommend the T6i aka 750D over the T6 aka 1300D. The T6 has liveview that is so slow when tethered (meaning, viewing it somewhere like an ipad instead of on the back of the camera), it is basically unusable.
I have a T6i and I use it for events with wifibooth no problem. Great little camera.

pj72791

Postby pj72791 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am

How can i use my Sony Action Camera AS20 with wi-fi booth?

tim
Site Admin

Postby tim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi pj72791,
Sony cameras that can run the Sony "Smart Remote" app on the camera are compatible with WiFi Booth. Im not sure if the AS20 can run this app, but if so, it should be supported.

Return to “Help: Cameras with Built-in WiFi”